Day 533: Living What is Best For All

http://forum.desteni.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6833

2. Living by the principle of what is best for all – guiding me in thought, word and deed to always in all ways direct problems to the best possible outcome for all

Today I am discussing this principle from the Desteni of Living, what it means, how I have lived it and how it has changed me.

First of all, the person who showed me what it means to live this principle was my dad, Bernard. He was the one who taught me to always question whether the particular path I was considering was for my own enrichment or for the enrichment of all life. For this I will be eternally grateful, for I am yet to meet a teacher who is his equal. His is the image I use to determine whether I am doing what is best.

So, what does it mean to live this principle? It may seem a vague and enormous concept, but in reality it is the most simple and direct principle that you will come across. Don't get caught up in "personal preference" in terms of what is good for one person may not be what another person wants. This point is about allowing each life form to develop themselves to their fullest potential. This may be hard to imagine given the diversity of cultures and even personalities; and bearing these in mind it is something that would take years to truly bring to manifestation. The one requirement for this principle to be implemented worldwide would be each person realising that the way they have always lived may not be best and that each person must investigate for themselves, without bias, what life and all that goes with it is about.

Doing what is best for all, or even one person, requires that you consider the possible consequences of every available choice to you. It means not accepting that things like opinions are valid excuses to justify abuse and inequality. It means making hard choices that may cause you to not be well liked by some, especially when it involves not allowing another to live in a self-enriching way that compromises others. It is the truest expression of love, as your actions are always to support another in being the best they can be, pushing them past their own limitations and calling them out on their dishonesty. It means creating a world in which each person's basic rights are met.

This is a difficult principle to live as most of us are taught to think only about ourselves most of the time and about others only in special circumstances. We are raised to value our own preferences above those of others, and even above the rights of others. To teach yourself to stop thinking about yourself first is difficult - it requires conscious effort and a persistent self awareness.

Whenever I am faced with a choice, the first point I consider is whether anyone else will be affected in any way by this choice. I then look at all the possible ways that others may be affected. I gather as much information as possible, investigate every possible path and the consequences of each of those paths. Once I am satisfied that I have done everything I can to make the most informed decision possible, I walk the choice. There may be times that new information presents itself after I have made the choice, from this I have no choice but to integrate this new information and re-evaluate my position. The point is that I do everything I am able with what I have in the moment - a good tool to investigate a particular path is discussing it with other people so as to gain alternate perspectives to your own.

Everything I do, I consider whether there will be any outflows or consequences for anyone around me. This includes evaluating their particular "personality" (which means tendencies, distinct thinking habits etc) as the consequences of your actions are not always immediately evident. Sometimes consequences will present days, weeks, months or even years down the line because one person reacted to your choice by participating in thoughts that stem from an energetic reaction. I consider how my choice will be seen by other people in order to evaluate whether I need to make a specific effort to discuss my actions with any person to ensure that my actions do not cause any unnecessary reactions within them.

I do not make any decision lightly. This includes the words I speak. I consider the nature of every word I speak, for at this point in time using just one word is enough to cause another person to react, simply because that word carries with it memories or emotions for them.

This is what it means to live this principle in every day life. There are of course also global aspects that I have not gone into, but that is for another blog and another day.

Living this principle has changed my life. I have become very patient, especially when interacting with another person,
as I realise that each person is walking an individual process and faces points that I may not have faced personally (for example). I experience far less conflict in my relationships with other people as I am now much more aware of the effects my words and actions have on them. I speak with discipline - meaning that I choose my words and do not allow myself to "blurt out" whatever is on my mind without considering what the consequences might be.

Comments