Day 479: Am I Dreaming?

Who am I?

Where did I come from?

Where am I going?

Why am I here?

What is the meaning of life?

Am I awake?

Am I dreaming?

How do I know?

Is this real?

Am I real?

What is real?

How do I know what is real?

Am I really here?

We have all asked these questions. There have been moments for each of us in which we question our own sanity or that of society. Mostly I question the sanity of our society.

Some people live in places where poverty and hardship is uncommon - I do not. Every time I leave home I see the hardships that so many people and animals are forced to endure and I simply cannot fathom how this exists. My initial shock and lack of comprehension gives the world an eerily dreamlike quality. Rationally I know how this has happened and why life is still like this - but on an emotional or feeling level - whatever you want to call it - I simply cannot understand.

I do not understand how another being is allowed to live in such circumstances that they spend their lives wondering if it wouldn't be simpler to just die. When you look at these people or animals you can see in their eyes that they are already dead inside - they do not live for anything - thy are merely surviving.

I want to pull out my hair and scream at the injustice and cruelty of this world, but that wouldn't change anything. It is not even an accurate attribution of responsibility - the world is not responsible for what humanity has done, we are. We are responsible in the sense that we validate the way the world is through our participation in it and acceptance of it. The reality of this situation that we are all in is that a majority of people believe that this is just the way it is, the way it should be and the way it always will be.

Fortunately, and unfortunately, bad living conditions are spreading, forcing more and more people to question the system as they are forced into lives of poverty. 

Comments